Our client is an international biotechnology company born in 2001, which has positioned itself on the leading edge of a groundbreaking industry where nature and technology come together. They are committed to the creation of innovative solutions in detection, identification, and prediction of microorganism behavior, and they have almost 20 years of experience in development, manufacture and distribution of the now-famous PCR testing.
Our client operates in the food and beverage manufacturing industry with comprehensive food safety laboratory products and services; as well as working with clinical laboratories in a wide range of innovative solutions. They also distinguish themselves from the competition through the provision of high-quality products and genetic testing services, reinforced through AI-based software platforms and applications.
They seek a Lab Director to manage 4 Analysts in their new facility in the Western Chicago area.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Responsible for ensuring ongoing compliance with the Standards for Laboratory Accreditation and implementing the requirements of the accreditation checklists.
- Ensure the following components are defined, implemented, and monitored:
- An effective quality management program.
- An adequate number of appropriately trained and qualified personnel.
- A safe laboratory environment.
- Ensure the availability of consultations for ordering appropriate tests and the interpretation of laboratory findings of medical significance.
- Ensure the ability to function effectively with applicable accrediting and regulatory agencies, the medical community, patients, and administrative officials.
- Ensure educational programs, strategic planning, research, and development appropriate for the laboratory and institution. If delegating activities to others, document which individuals are authorized to act on his/her behalf.
- Develop new product and services proposals, and improve the current ones.
- Schedule and attend meetings with regulatory entities, potential partners, distributors, customers and other strategic alliances to achieve goals and objectives, ensure a sustainable growth, and increase market share.
- Support the commercial team in the creation and presentation of technical proposals, and answer customer requirements.
- Plan, schedule and control the development of projects, directing and supervising the lab team to comply in effectiveness and efficiency.
- Ensure the correct use of equipment, and coordinate preventive and corrective maintenance of the equipment.
- Ensure the correct use of software and an appropriate handling of confidential information.
- Know current procedures and instructions and ensure their correct compliance, following the regulations and guidelines of the accreditation under which the laboratory is governed. According to these, ensure the correct handling of all the sample matrices with which the laboratory works. Under the concept of continuous improvement, propose improvements in techniques, analyzes and procedures when opportunities for improvement are detected.
- Provide technical support to the lab team, helping them with the creation of work orders, planning of experiments, review and publication of results.
- Reading, interpretation and reporting of results of analyzes carried out in the laboratory.
- Work side by side with the lab team, training them in the procedures that are carried out and that are key to fulfill the needs of the customers, looking for solutions to problems that arise during application of them.
- Constantly manage training for laboratory workers.
- Ensure the correct implementation and use of hygiene and sanitation procedures, instructions and records.
- Ensure the reliability of the analysis methods applied in the laboratory.
MS or PhD in Microbiology or other biological sciences, and a minimum of 2 years managing a food safety lab.
- Advanced knowledge in Molecular Biology
- Advanced knowledge in Microbiology
This is not a remote position. Prefer local candidates. All candidates must be able to work in the U.S without a sponsor.