Our client offers conventional, certified organic and non-GMO baking solutions and are a partner to commercial bakers in the artisan, wholesale, retail and foodservice markets throughout North America.
Primary function of this position is to provide baking skills to the testing of new and existing products. Participate in achieving company annual sales goals through technical achievements.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work in the Baking Center to resolve any field technical concerns
- Apply a strong working knowledge of yeast raised baked goods and processes in making the proper analyses, decisions and objective recommendations on the use of our products in the field.
- To evaluate any new products, including line extensions or product improvements as well as competitive products (yeast, dough conditioners, enzymes, sourdoughs.)
- Ability to test new raw materials, conduct laboratory scale bake testing, and new equipment and technology.
- Perform baking test for Quality Assurance
- Stay informed and updated on baking processes or ingredient changes in the food industry, especially in the area of baked or cereal products.
- Communicate results accurately through detailed service reports.
- Prepare samples of experimental formulas for customer tests
- Ability to willingly travel to work with field technicians and participate in technical training for new employees and customers
- Support the New Product Development Lab Manager and participate in special projects as assigned
- Actively contribute to the Safety and management of the building
- Manage inventory of raw materials
Education / Experience
Formal baking training required and minimal practical experience of 5 years required. Basic laboratory training and strong professional and technical interest in baking required.
Proficiency in a second language preferred but not required – Spanish or French.
Analyze baking process, explain and demonstrate products, make objective recommendations to correct application problems while maintaining awareness of customers’ needs, concerns and quality expectations. Excellent analytical skills are required to solve difficult technical problems for major customers
There are no direct reports to this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have excellent Microsoft Office skills.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Prolonged sitting and standing, some bending, stooping, stretching and climbing (ladders or steps). Occasional heavy work lifting up to 100 pounds. Must possess physical tolerance for common baking ingredients. Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary for dough handling and formation of bakery products. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard bakery equipment, various laboratory equipment, and a motor vehicle. Requires eyesight within normal range to visually determine stages of dough development, read reports, and computer terminals. Requires hearing within normal range for telephone service responsibilities. Must be able to verbally explain and demonstrate products.
Intermittent exposure to noise, odors and temperature extremes in baking facilities. Occasional exposure to dust and heights of 10 feet or more. Potential injuries may occur during improper operation of equipment or improper lifting and handling of equipment and supplies. Considerable danger if exposed to moving mechanical parts, power sources, or specific chemicals used in production processes. Certain personal protection measures must be taken to protect against hazards in plant/bakery operations.
Occasional domestic travel required, normal hazards and conditions consistent with such travel. Weekend and early/late working hours may be required.
All candidates must be able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.