Our client is a multi-billion-dollar manufacturer of high-speed beverages, based in the New England area. They have an opening for a R&D Engineer.
R&D Engineer applies the fundamental engineering principles in combination with a creative mindset to develop novel process solutions for product development. This position will interact as part of larger cross-functional teams including members of Research & Development, Operations, Engineering, Marketing, Sourcing, Food Safety & Quality, and other functions as appropriate for the business. Responsibilities will span the entire product/process development continuum all the way from concept to commercialization. The R&D Engineer is also responsible for optimizing and upgrading current processes for cost savings and gains in efficiency, capability, reliability and safety across our plants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Product Development: Collaborate with R&D teams on new product development, experimental design, pilot plant trials, scale up to full production while working fully in a cross functional environment. Ensuring ongoing product improvements, including cost savings or improved product quality and functionality.
- Process Development: develop robust, reliable, cost effective and efficient processes in support of business objectives. The engineer will also work to continually identify and implement advantaged processes and technologies. Developing and testing new processes in pilot plant and/or production plant.
- Process Commercialization: serve as the lead when it comes to transferring new processes and technologies from the lab/pilot scale into full production. Optimize process parameters to scale up the process, and interface with the broader R&D teams to develop innovative process solutions. Document and develop process specifications for range of products.
- Process Analysis: gather and analyze data and use that data to make recommendations. This includes characterization of current process, quantifying/qualifying potential process improvements and leading validation efforts of existing and newly implemented products/processes. As needed, the engineer will compile data, document work and prepare reports for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Project Management: coordinate and plan to ensure project work meets quality specifications and is delivered on schedule and within budgetary constraints.
- Technical Support and Troubleshooting: the engineer will work to develop expertise with current and new technologies and processes so that he/she may serve as a resource for technical support and troubleshooting as issues arise. Investigating and resolving customer complaints as they relate to products or process;
- Technology Pipeline Development: collaboration with outside parties (suppliers/vendors, manufacturers, associations, academia, etc.) to identify new technologies whose application could significantly reduce advantaged cost structures on current operations or significantly expanded capabilities to facilitate future operations.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor/Master’s degree in food process engineering, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering or equivalent.
- 2+ years of experience in food/beverage processing and packaging plants.
Skills and Competencies:
- Strong analytical, creative thinking, and problem-solving skills through a data-based approach.
- Knowledgeable on mass and energy balances, heat transfer and fluid flow calculations.
- Proven continuous improvement experience and application of statistical analysis tools.
- Strong interpersonal, cross-functional teamwork, excellent planning, organizational process improvement and project management skills.
- Self-motivated, highly innovative and creative with excellent communication skills plus acute attention to details.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Sponsorship is available as well as working remotely.