Gummy Formulator Manager
Our client is one of the nation’s leading dietary supplement formulation and custom packaging companies. They specialize in custom dry-dosage formula solutions, from shelf-stable probiotics to vitamins and minerals. They are the largest supplier of store brand probiotics, and they have completed and launched the first USP Verified probiotic supplement. They seek a Gummy formulator Manager to be based in their Southern California research center.
· The ideal candidate for R&D Gummy Formulation Manager will possess a solid work track record of excellent attendance, the proven ability to meet deadlines and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and maintain outstanding organizational skills.
· Plays a critical role in the gummy manufacturing process, and as such, must possess the ability to juggle multiple tasks, communicate effectively and have a razor-sharp eye for detail.
· Strong problem-solving skills and ability to work collaboratively with cross functional groups to solve problems and influence internal and external groups.
· Lead the gummy formulation team tasked with generating customized gummy formulations based on customer requests and market intel as well as calculate costs and price quotes for all existing, modified, and new product formulations and procedures.
· Improvement in First Time Right metrics related to yield non-conformance, reduction of rework and destruction cost.
· Knowledge pertaining to the nutraceutical industry in general and the gummy manufacturing process in particular and must be well versed in a variety of ingredients, their usage, forms, activities and all other relevant physical characteristics.
· Experience in gummy formulation and manufacturing on starchless lines is required with a strong preference for pectin gummies.
· Must demonstrate a high level of self-confidence and common sense. A strong level of computer literacy is required in this position. Microsoft Excel will be used on a regular basis.
· This person must be able to work through common R&D and formulation problems independently while managing the day to day gummy product development activities and the transfer of technology to the manufacturing center.
· The R&D Gummy Formulation Manager will report directly to the Director of Product Development.
Essential job functions
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Development of gummy formulas for the generation of quotes for new and existing business opportunities.
· Review and approval of deviations, including process modification if required per deviations, and provide impact statements as needed.
· Managing the gummy formulation team in the daily development of new formulas in gummy form, as well as to modify/correct existing formulas as deemed necessary; checking and approval of documents such as Product Label Information (PLI), Nutritional Information, Start Up’s for creating Master Formulas and Manufacturing Directions etc.
· Understanding and usage of current FDA nutritional/supplement fact information and standards while formulating
· Adhering to company guidelines, including cGMPs, SOPs and safety procedures.
· Overseeing gummy laboratory pilots. Understand the process for each final product type, and give and utilize feedback as needed.
· Interfacing with internal departments including purchasing, manufacturing, inventory control, quality assurance/ quality control, sales and customer service as required.
· Leading all internal gummy project collaborations with QA/QC or customer gummy projects as required.
· Working closely with Production team when new products start production, and helping design process efficiencies in manufacturing of existing formulas.
· Working with the Purchasing Department to assist in the evaluation of new and alternate supplier for raw materials.
· Understanding the basic costing/quoting process and help troubleshoot issues as needed.
· Spearheading formulation revisions for production level pilot batches as needed.
· Keeping up to date on regulatory, innovative and industry wide changes.
Work Experience requirements
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the development confection or dietary supplement gummy products.
· Ability to read, write and speak English fluently. (Bilingual Spanish a plus).
· Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Must be able to calculate potencies to meet label claims.
· Understanding of formulation cost and pricing analysis.
· Ability to work with minimal supervision while remaining productive at all times.
· Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentages. Familiarity with the metric system.
· Ability to handle multiple, rapidly changing and conflicting priorities.
· Excellent verbal and written communications skills and phone etiquette.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook. Accurate typing ability.
· Ability to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with excellent attention to detail.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS· High School Diploma/Certificate; and 5+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· A/A. degree and 3 years of experience or B.A./B.S. degree and 2 years of experience in Product Development/ Manufacturing Technology in the Nutraceutical Industry.All Candidates must be able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.