Senior Microbiologist Applied Research
Our client’s nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on their leading brands to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
They currently have an opportunity for a Senior Microbiologist Applied Research. In Research & Development (R&D) their ambition is providing innovative high-quality products, creating sustainable value, delivering superior user experience, and enhancing health outcomes at all stages of life.
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE
Individual contributor with comprehensive knowledge in the specific area (i.e., microbiology). Ability to execute highly complex or specialized projects adapts precedent and may make significant departures from traditional approaches to develop solutions. Carries out complex/critical fundamental or applied research in the biological or physical sciences or in mathematic requiring appreciable originality and ingenuity.
- Well developed, advanced knowledge and skills in an applied research area of their specialization.
- Incumbents require an understanding of several disciplines.
- Position may involve the introduction and application of new developments in their field and may also require the development of new approaches to be used by other professions.
- Prepare detailed reports to support recommendations and conclusions and evaluate findings.
- Provides information essential to estimate the costs, resources, and time required to implement the organization’s annual R&D goals and monitor the performance of research projects to ensure targets are met.
- Frequently liaises with the external scientific community
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master of Science (MS) in Microbiology or closely related discipline, Ph.D. preferred.
- Experience in Food Microbiology, Food Processing, Root-Cause Analysis, Risk Assessment, Global Food Regulations.
- Devises and manages applied research projects necessary to resolve microbiological challenges occurring in production facilities as well as third party manufacturing sites.
- Maintains advanced scientific awareness of important microbial populations (e.g., foodborne pathogens, spoilage-related, environmental, human microbiome, probiotic) and their potential impact on food safety, hygiene status and health/wellness.
- Familiar with a range of microbiological identification techniques/platforms (e.g., classical, biochemical, molecular, rapid) and methods for validating the same. Experience with next-generation sequencing technologies and bioinformatics analysis considered a plus.
- Familiar with routine immunochemistry techniques necessary for food allergen testing, evaluation, and management.
- Employs a range of investigation tools as necessary to conduct root-cause and risk analyses.
- Provides field-specific technical/scientific expertise to various internal functional groups including but not limited to Patent/Legal, Regulatory, Medical/Safety, and Quality Assurance.
- Researches and synthesizes scientific information and communicates effectively with a range of audiences with differing professional backgrounds.
- Utilizes basic understanding of food processing technologies (e.g., aseptic, retort, spray drying, extrusion) and associated risk and control features to assist teams ranging from product development to plant investigations.
- Employs observational skills and critical thinking in support of audits of select suppliers, Third-Party Manufacturers (TPM), and Third-Party Laboratories (TPL).
WHAT THEY OFFER
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives, and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness, and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
All candidates must be able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.