Senior Scientist, Dairy
Our client is a multi-billion dollar manufacturer of dairy products. They are a company whose purpose includes nourishing families through the support they provide each other as a family of employees. They have a new opportunity for a Sr. Scientist, Dairy at their facility in Rochester, Minnesota. This division manufactures ice cream and has recently unveiled new products such as yogurt smoothies, probiotic milks and low-sugar frozen yogurt.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Proactively lead the development and commercialization of fluid, cultured, and frozen dairy products.
- Originate technical plan to achieve project charter objectives (cost, quality, time).
- Incorporate market research insights to create products that delight consumers.
- Evaluate competitive products to ensure prototypes are comparable or better.
- Procure raw materials and technical information needed for product and label development.
- Create cost formulas that meet business unit objectives.
- Create batching procedures and process flow diagrams that successfully scale up in manufacturing facilities.
- Lead pilot plant development, production trials, and commercialization.
- Create specifications that achieve consistent finished product quality.
- Record test procedures and observations.
- Lead product evaluations and interpret shelf life results.
- Lead technical input and implement recommendations.
- Determine technical risks and implement contingency plans.
- Communicate project results with senior leadership.
- Document and proactively improve research processes.
- Train and mentor fellow RD teammates.
- Pursue technical applications related to future company needs.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Education and Experience
- BS in Food Science (or comparable field of expertise) with at least 8 years of relevant work experience.
- MS in Food Science (or comparable field of expertise) with at least 6 years of relevant work experience.
- PhD in Food Science (or comparable field of expertise) with at least 4 years of relevant work experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Technical Knowledge. – In depth technical knowledge of fluid, cultured, and frozen dairy products.
- Problem Solving. – Expert problem solver, provide solutions to a wide range of complex problems by applying advanced knowledge and extensive experience.
- Project Leadership – Proficient, results oriented project leader with ability to leverage consumer insights and technical capabilities to commercialize complex new products, cost savings, and quality improvements.
- Customer Focus – Understands and anticipates internal/external customers business needs and continually searches for ways to exceed customer expectations.
- Communication – Excellent interpersonal communication skills to network, develop trust, and build relationships, with technical and business partners.
- Productivity – Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects and changing priorities.