Our client is $ 300 million manufacturer of bakery dry products, well known in the retail market. Categories including baking mixes (cake, brownie, cookies, muffins, etc. ready -to spread frostings, pancake and waffle mixes, breakfast syrup, and baking ingredients. They manufacture many of its products from its facility in Ohio where the company employs 255 full-time employees.
The Scientist, R&D will be joining a private equity ” startup” business with iconic brands strong retail presence and outstanding manufacturing capabilities. The scientist leads product development projects from concept to commercialization. Our client plans to aggressively increase pace of innovation in the baking, ingredients, and breakfast categories where there is ample opportunity for disruption and differentiation. The role will be based in the Ohio manufacturing facility where fully operational pilot plane is located.
- Provide technical input throughout all phases of NEW Product Development (concept to commercialization)
- Lead the product development projects from concept through commercialization
- Lead/support the planning, execution and reporting of plant trials and product validations for new products and formulations.
- Work with Marketing and partner with Operations for commercial execution against all new products.
- Seek, evaluate and utilize technical information to achieve objectives.
- Recommend and implement product quality improvements based on quantitative insights.
- Investigate and implement cost reduction initiatives
- Cross functional collaboration with Marketing, Sales, Supply Chain Finance and Operation.
- Maintain laboratory ingredient inventories. Keep accurate records on lab work and data analysis.
- Safely operate, clean and maintain lab ware and equipment while adhering to GMPs in the handling and preparation of food products.
- Some travel needed
- 3 plus years of food R&D experience
- Preferred experience with flours and grains, grain-based products, chemical or yeast leavening ingredient functionality
- Understanding of carbohydrate chemistry and fat oil chemistry
- BS in Food Science or Engineering Preferred master’s degree in food science, Engineering Business