Our client is a supplier of top quality citrus ingredients to the Food, Beverage, Perfumery and Chemical industries. They were established in 1985 with the purpose of providing top quality citrus products to both the U.S. and International food & beverage companies. Our client is looking for a Senior Product Development Chemist.
The Senior Product Development Chemist is responsible for formulating both flavors and proprietary blends including regulatory compliance documentation for all products. In addition, the Chemist analyzes the chemical properties of raw product samples for quality, consistency, and stability.
- Creating and maintaining a work environment that shows concern for the company’s people as much as for its property.
- Have a mindset that the customer and the quality of the product are the first priority and that each person in the company is here to support that priority. Lead by the mission statement: To provide our customers with the highest quality of value-added products and to meet or exceed customer specifications.
- Analyzing samples from various sources to provide information on compounds, quantities of and quality present;
- Using Best Lab Practices and SOP including a range of analytical techniques, instrumentation, and software, such as GC-FID, GC/MS, gas and titration, wet chemistry, and others as they become necessary.
- Interpreting data and adhering to strict guidelines on documentation when recording data.
- Reporting scientific results through analytical reports and compliance with quality standards from third parties, such as IFRA, HACCP/AIB, etc. as well as reports on sample products, blend sheets and flavor/match projects.
- Developing techniques for the analysis of product components;
- Ensure that all customer deadlines, product requests, and complaints are acted upon and the results are being monitored. Assist in all complaints that have not or cannot be handled by others.
- Maintain measurement of daily lab productivity goals such as sample turnaround time and testing of liquid tank product prior to offloading
- Co-manage implementation of AIB certification with the Production Development Manager.
- Ensure the proper maintenance of lab equipment, such as PM on GC/MS, verification and calibration in accordance with ISO best practice.
- Attend and contribute to weekly meetings regarding AIB certification, and then monthly safety and risk management awareness meetings (heighten awareness and improve employee safety while working in lab and production).
- Be aware of and adhere to precautions as noted on Safety Data Sheet. Read and sign the product SDS. Take on-line hazmat requirements training.
- Ensure that all actions are conducted within the policies and procedures of the company, and that of others as well, do not violate any quality standards or state or federal laws.
- Ensure the coordination of efforts between departments including lab work and sample prep, including delegating tasks to other departments for cross-training and workload management.
- Work with production personnel to ensure bulk blends and flavors match pre-ship and retained samples.
- Work with regulatory to ensure all income and outgoing material is in line with our clients Traceability Standards (based on traceability documentation standards.
- Proactively seek out new ideas, methods, processes, and procedures to enhance the effectiveness and profits of the company.
- Any other duties/projects that may be assigned from time to time by the President.
- Assist as needed when other employees are absent.
Within job duties, ensures the ethical and prudent operation of the company
Education Requirement: BS in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related science.
Experience Requirement: 6+ years experience as a laboratory chemist with citrus background